Well it appears that I was right, last night's beetle is indeed Ptinus fur, a lifer for me and seemingly new to the Inner Hebrides (Moore, 2012).
There are several species in the genus, some of which look quite similar. Add to this the variability in elytral patterning and overall shape differences between the two sexes and it could be quite easy to misidentify this small beetle. Thankfully the family is covered by Joy and Mike Hackston has provided one of his fantastic online keys which covers the Ptinidae. By bumbling my way around these I narrowed it down to species.
Some pics of the beast
| Pronotum with two combs of longer, thickened hairs which are very pale whitish-yellow and directed backwards forming an angle with one another in the middle of the constriction at the base (Hackston) |
| Evenly rounded shoulders so presumably a female |
| 4th abdominal segment less than half the width of the 3rd |
I'm really going to have to find a setting that has a better white balance to it. Or maybe use a different lighting set up for my microscope.
A quick bumble through the woods added a solitary Phosphuga (Silpha) atrata to the Beetle Yearlist which now stands at a huge two species. Rather shockingly, no sign of Nebria brevicollis!
A quick bumble through the woods added a solitary Phosphuga (Silpha) atrata to the Beetle Yearlist which now stands at a huge two species. Rather shockingly, no sign of Nebria brevicollis!
This afternoon I shall attempt to card the Ptinus, it'll be the smallest thing I've ever carded by a mile! Wish me luck...
Update: carding was duly undertaken, I'm not sure where my fine paintbrush has disappeared to so I had to use pins to move bits into place. Not ideal! Anyway, here she is
A great start and not a genus I've encountered yet
ReplyDeleteThanks, always good to start with a bang!
Delete